The NZMSS Student Research Grant was established by society members during the 2006 Annual General Meeting.
The grant is intended to help graduate researchers take their work further than academic funding allows and to provide exposure for their research. Applications from a broad range of marine disciplines are encouraged.
Objectives of the student grant
- To advance the study of marine science, and to encourage research of high scientific merit in New Zealand
- To stimulate novel research involving graduate students in New Zealand
- Assist graduate students to take their work further than academic funding allows
- To provide exposure for graduate research within New Zealand and abroad
Applications close June 11 2021
Grants are awarded as funds allow.
Each application should be submitted as two typed documents (in Microsoft Word .doc or Adobe .pdf format) and emailed to email@example.com.
Document 1: Scientific proposal
This document must be anonymous and must not include any information that identifies the applicant or their institution
- This document is limited to three pages of single-spaced 12 pt text (excluding references)
- The document must be named with a distinctive title unique to the proposal
- The text should identify what gaps in knowledge the research aims to fill, why these are important to New Zealand, and why the research should be done now
- The text should also outline why the applicants are well placed to do the research, and provide an explanation of the methods and analysis, what the funds will be used for and how this additional funding will extend the scope of the research.
Document 2: Applicant details
- Contact details of the applicant and their host institution
- Contact details of the applicant’s supervisor(s)
- This document is limited to one page of single-spaced 12pt text.
Applicants must be enrolled for a postgraduate degree at a New Zealand institution.
Applicants must be a current member of NZMSS
- During the tenure of the research grant the applicant must be an enrolled student and a member of NZMSS.
- Funds may be used for any purpose that supports the applicant’s research.
- Recipients will present their findings during a session at an NZMSS annual conference (could be a plenary session). Conference attendance will be at their own expense, but the conference registration fee will be waived.
- Recipients will provide a two page summary of their findings to the NZMSS Secretary in a style suitable for a press release within one year of the research being completed.
- All publications and presentations will acknowledge that the research was “supported by a Student Research Grant from the New Zealand Marine Sciences Society”.
- The applicant and supervisor will provide a signed statement as to the use of the funds within one year of the grant being awarded.
- Scientific Proposals will be independently reviewed by at least three referees (NZMSS Council members) not associated with any proposals.
- The referees will not confer until they have assessed and ranked the Scientific Proposals independently.
- Referees will only view Applicant Details once all referees have conferred and agreed on the ranking of the Scientific Proposals.