Welcome to the New Zealand Marine Sciences Society
We exist to support and connect marine science and scientists across a wide range of disciplines in New Zealand.
NZMSS is a non-profit organization, formed in 1960 as a constituent society of New Zealand’s Royal Society.
What we do
Our goal is to keep the marine science community connected, supported and involved in marine issues.
Here is how we do it:
- Hold the annual Marine Science Conference, sometimes in conjunction with other New Zealand societies or our Australian colleagues.
- Award the annual New Zealand Marine Sciences Society Award to someone who has made an outstanding contribution to marine science.
- Award the annual John Morton Medal to someone who has made an outstanding contribution to marine conservation.
- Provide First Overseas Conference Travel grants to student members.
- Provide Student Research Grant Funds.
- Provide written comment and independent submissions on marine issues.
- Host a mailing list – known as listserv – where members can circulate information that may be of interest to the marine science community (subscribe here).
NZMSS membership is available to all those with a scientific interest in the marine environment, including the uptake of science in marine policy, resource management, conservation and the marine business sector.
Find out more about our memberships here.