What We Do
Our goal is to keep the marine science community connected, supported and involved in marine issues.
Here is how we do it:
- Hold the annual Marine Science Conference and award Student Prizes, sometimes in conjunction with other New Zealand societies or our Australian colleagues.
- Award the annual New Zealand Marine Sciences Society Award to someone who has made an outstanding contribution to marine science.
- Award the annual John Morton Medal to someone who has made an outstanding contribution to marine conservation.
- Provide First Overseas Conference Travel grants to student members.
- Provide Student Research Grant Funds.
- Provide written comment and independent submissions on marine issues.
- Host a mailing list – known as listserv – where members can circulate information that may be of interest to the marine science community.
NZMSS membership is available to all those with a scientific interest in the marine environment, including the uptake of science in marine policy, resource management, conservation and the marine business sector.
Most of our members renew their membership when they register for our annual conference. For this reason, we do not send out renewal notifications until after the conference. If you did not attend the conference and want to join NZMSS then please click on the link below
Find out more about our memberships here.
NZMSS Council is now accepting award nominations for the NZMSS Award and the John Morton Medal. These awards will be presented at our 2022 conference in Auckland. The closing date for nominations is 31 July 2022. Please visit our award pages for details and the nomination forms. Read More
NZMSS is pleased to announce that we will be holding a joint conference with the New Zealand Freshwater Sciences Society (NZFSS) from 21 – 25 November 2022! The conference will be hosted by Auckland University of Technology (AUT). Visit our conference page for updates. Read More